17 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Thursday, July 16, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.


This image stands in for a lot of wandering and fighting you don't care about. I fought some raiders at a drive-in. They had a cave nearby that I cleared out. Blah blah blah. (Actually, I think my lockpicking skill was to low to open their safe full of loot. I should go back there. :P )


One cool thing I found in my wanderings was the RobCo robot factory. Pictured is a military bot. On the left you can see a Nuka-Cola branded security robot. On the floor you can see some dead giant mutant mole rats who were infesting the facility.


This image stands in for the exploration of Fallout 3's industrial spaces. There are many of them. I enjoy stealthily moving through them, killing everything and taking everything that might even potentially be valuable. There are weapon schematics I've heard of that will let me build homebrew weapons. I don't know what parts I'll need, so I make Fallout me take everything that isn't nailed down.


After pillaging RobCo, I saw a sight I frankly couldn't believe. I had to investigate.

Just getting in the door cost me a hundred caps. (Bottlecaps are currency, if I haven't mentioned that already.) But look!


People! Normal people! They aren't wearing body armor made of tires! And chandeliers! And green plants!

This is Tenpenny Tower. Allistair Tenpenny somehow renovated this building in the middle of a barren plain and it attracted anyone with more money than survival skills from miles around. Heck, it brought me in. At first it seemed very pleasant. Then the Ghoul talk started. Apparently there were some nearby Ghouls who had raised the caps to move in. But the residents were all superstition and prejudice. This is the 50s future, and the Ghouls are treated like everyone who wasn't a WASP was treated back then.

I talked to some of the residents, then decided to bail. These people were naive at best and just plain bigots in many cases. Someone said the Ghouls lived to the southwest (I think), so I decided to search them out.

Next time: Surprises on the Way to Ghoul Town

No comments: