09 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, July 5, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

I raided the Super Duper Mart. It came pre-raided though, so I suppose you could say I raided the raiders. I guess it's a good thing that I was so into sneaking up on the bad guys that I forgot to take any pictures. Heh. Sorry.

The best part was that after I'd cleaned out all the raiders and made my way to the back room, I found a security robot in storage. Just then the PA at the front of the store kicked in with some more raiders announcing their triumphant return from pillaging. I hacked the robot, grabbed an employee badge so he wouldn't target me, and continued my looting while the battle raged outside. The robot managed to take about two or three down, and I cleaned up the remainder.

There was a lot of loot in that place. Even ignoring the cheap crap like raider armor, I had to make two trips to stash everything. I've switched to using fast travel, though, where I just click on a place I've already been to. It means a little less exploration, but I'd rather avoid the fighting. The only way to heal damage outside of sleeping or consuming valuable stim packs, is consuming radiation filled food and water. Radiation doesn't go away on its own, getting it cured is expensive, and I'm not keen on becoming a mutant.

I hit level four. As part of that, I leveled up my explosives skill enough that I can disarm the bomb in Megaton. Part of me wants to disarm it right away to see if I can piss off the man in white and force a confrontation. But I'll also be pissing off the church that worships it, and I've got no beef with them. I get the feeling it doesn't matter what I intend, it will end in tears.

Meh. My next assignment is getting to the center of a town covered in landmines. It's not like life can get much worse.



On the technical side, I finally figured out why Steam kept giving me a CD key for the game. I had to enter it into Game for Windows Live to get patches. Now that I've patched, the game crashes every couple hours or so. Fabulous. Luckily it autosaves at every doorway, so as long as I manually save between combat encounters, I never lose too much progress.

No comments: