16 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

When I first went to Megaton, I met a Ghoul. He looked like a zombie and worked for the bartender. The game gave me a lot of not nice things to say to him, but he seemed alright to me, so I just talked to him like regular folk and we seemed to get along. Later, near the Temple of the Union, I met some wandering Ghouls who said they were looking for a place to settle because the Super Mutants were keeping them out of Underworld, a Ghoul city in downtown D.C. They were nice enough, and I was sad I couldn't help them more. (One of them was attacked and killed by a mutant mole rat before I could reach them to help.)

But when I decided to explore the big building up the hill from Minefield, the Ghouls I found were decidedly unfriendly.


These are Feral Ghouls. And the Glowing One is particularly nasty. He doesn't hit much harder, but he's got a ton more hit points. Even with my hunting rifle it took a while to put him down. I also took advantage of the terrain / inability of the AI to jump to stand on some rocks. The ferals would have to run around the long way, giving me time to shoot them. I'm not entirely comfortable with that strategy. It works. But it feels like I'm using an exploit.

Anyway, I explored the power plant the Ghouls were in. I found a schematic for a gun that shoots railroad spikes, but since my mechanical skills were terrible, I didn't try to build one. My general feeling is that whatever my opponents are dropping most regularly is what I should be using. In the early game that was 10mm pistols and hunting rifles.

And of course, they weren't dropping armored vault dweller suits either. So eventually I had to ditch my Vault 101 gear and go native.


Fallout me is ridiculously buff. But I make him schlep hundreds of pounds of loot all over the place, so he better be. The game has a nice feature which allows me to go to any point of interest I've already visited without having to manually walk there. Time progresses, but I don't have to drive. I can't imagine trying to play the game without it.

Tomorrow: the robot museum and scenes from a class struggle

No comments: