07 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Saturday, July 4, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

The future sucks.

I wandered out of the Vault down into the world. I saw something that looked like a 50s style rocket, so I thought I'd check it out. Along the way I searched some houses and found some loot. I also picked the lock to a simple safe. I decided to stash everything I didn't need in the safe as I was already halfway full of junk. There's a mechanic in the game that allows you to put together home brew weapons, but I have no idea what components I'll need to build them, so I'm picking up all sorts of useless junk.

The space ship was apparently just a scuplture, but I did see wrecked hover cars on the street. Approximate odds I'll ever get a hovercar: one in three trillion.

From the space ship, I could see a structure with lights on it which turned out to be the first city in the game, Megaton.



The centerpiece of Megaton is an unexploded nuke. The guy standing in the radioactive water is a leader in The Church of the Atom. They worship the bomb. Other than being slightly crazy, they seem like nice folks. The man on the right is the sheriff. He was friendly and decent when I entered town, so when a main in a white suit in the local bar said he'd pay me to set off the bomb and destroy the town, I figured the sheriff should know. The sheriff decided to arrest the man and headed up to the bar. I sat on a stool as they faced off, ready to jump up and help if a fight broke out.



It never did. The man said he wouldn't come. The sheriff insisted. The man relented, then shot the sheriff as soon as his back was turned, warning me to watch my back before he vanished out the door. I chased after, but he was nowhere to be seen. Great. So I got the Sheriff killed. Well, I've watched enough westerns to know what that means.



It means I'm the new sheriff. Nobody in town seems to notice or care. Even the sheriff's son had instantly gotten over it.



But I'm not over it. The problem is that since no one cares, I can't deal with the man in white legally. And when I tried to click on a work bench and accidentally picked up something laying on it, I was labeled a thief and given negative karma points, so this game's sense of justice is bull@#*$.

I've found where the man in white lives. I'm nowhere near being able to pick the lock on the door. But I can wait. In the meantime, I've got some exploring to do out in the wasteland. I've heard about a ruined market that may have a cache of food and medicine, so I'll head out there first.

In real life I'd be worried about the man in white finding someone to blow up the town while I was gone, but I'm not getting a sense that the game would do that. It seems like stuff that happens between NPCs doesn't really matter. It's very player-centric.

So I'll bide my time, level up, and look forward to giving the man in white his just deserts.

The future sucks.





















































for him

No comments: