02 July, 2009

Keepalive: Trine Demo, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, Shirt Stuff

written on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trine is a physics based platformer where you switch between three different characters on the fly.

Knight

He beats stuff up. His shield lets him block attacks. And he can break stuff the others can't.

Thief

She can shoot arrows and swing on a rope.

Wizard

The wizard can move certain objects with magic and can also create boxes. Boxes are usually good for getting to high places, but can also be used to hold down switches or, as in this picture, crush bad guys.

You know my general feelings about physics based platformers. The controls are mushy and unreliable. Trine isn't as bad as some, but there are definitely times when I should have landed a jump and didn't. And the thief's rope can be a pain to use. That said, it has an upgrade path for the characters which indicates that there'll be more to it than what I saw in the demo, and the developer (Frozenbyte) did make Shadowgrounds: Survivor, which I still enjoy. I was playing it while listening to podcasts just last weekend. I'm still a horrible cheap ass, though, and will wait for a sale.

The game is co-op, but with my little 17" monitor, I'm not thinking we'll cluster around it for one of our Tuesday sessions.



Speaking of which, we played more TimeSplitters: Future Perfect last Tuesday. There were zombies. We shot them in the head. Next week will be robots. I'd like to say it will be followed by pirates, then ninjas, but it won't. No game's perfect, even if it's in the title.



I've finished the Republic Commando books. They're good books, but not for what I wanted from them. Delta Squad are extras in those game, and pretty inconsistent with their game incarnations. And it ends at basically the same place the game does, so I don't know enough of the future (the Imperial Commando book due this fall) to know whether a game would mesh. I'd like to just ignore the books, but they are bestsellers. :P I'm thinking I should just forget it.

Part of that's because I've lost my taste for the Star Wars in general. These books are about war and corruption and murder and theft and human rights abuses and wrecking people's lives. Star Wars used to be heroic fantasy. Remember Star Wars?

I don't. The simple fun of Star Wars is now like making sense of historical animosities in the Balkans. No thanks. If a Star Wars game comes out and gets really good reviews, I'll probably play it because I like good games.

But I'm skipping the cut scenes.

No comments: