29 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

This episode is super photo heavy. You have been warned.

First a quick aside. On a quick stopover in Megaton a weird thing happened.


Apparently having a good alignment at a high level means people run up to you and give you caps and ammo for being such a good guy. Neat.

Okay, back to work. I was still exploring the western area of the map when I came upon a pitched battle.



Two Brotherhood Outcasts in power armor were taking on a sentry bot. Sentry bots suck. The bot took down both of the Outcasts and still had enough fight left over to kill three attack cows. (Don't ask.) Then I shot it in the head and it broke. Yay free loot.

The building they were fighting next to was the Smith Caseys Garage.



In the process of looting it, I found a switch. I pressed it.



Huh. Secret stairs.



Oh crap. A vault. No good can come of this.



Hmm. Friendly robots. How long until they turn on me? I wish I'd taken the perk that let me deactivate robots.



Hmm. Humans in tubes. This can't be good. But there's nothing else I can do here but climb into one. I made sure to save my game beforehand. This is a bad idea.



Huh. This is pretty weird.



Oh. And I'm a twelve year old boy. And the gal watering the slide wants me to do evil things. And only the old woman realizes the place isn't real. And for some reason the game has me asking everyone where my dad is. This makes no sense.



It's kind of creepy to see these environments without scorch marks all over them.



And my pip boy wrist computer seems to have lost some functionality. Great.

So the old lady tells me about the failsafe console. I check it out. It looks like my only option is to help the sadistic little girl (who's actually a crazy German scientist) torture everybody, or release them from this prison by activating the failsafe, which will kill them. When mass murder is your best option, it's hard not to feel like a failure.

So I kill them all. The German is ticked. I leave him to his eternal solitude. (I tried to kill him. It wouldn't let me.) It's nice to breathe air again.



Wait. WHAT!? What the crap is my dad doing here? I had it on good authority that you were in the Jefferson Memorial! I specifically did not go there to avoid the main story!

So that's why I always had the option to ask people about my dad!

On one hand, it's not what I wanted. But it's so much more impossible and unlikely than what I did want, that I was mostly happy about it. Dad went off to Rivet City to use some of the German's research to work on his own project to make a clean water generating machine.

I went off to keep exploring the wasteland. Dad was well intended, but there were lots of people and monsters that needed killing.

Next Time: Trouble for Talon Company

No comments: