25 July, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Friday, July 24, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

In case you didn't get the reference (fetus), the last "Next Time" was a lyric from an old song. Here's the full lyric.

When you're alone
And life is making you lonely
You can always go
Downtown




I'd wandered the wasteland for a while. I'd been picking around in the outskirts for a while. It turned out Super Mutants weren't quite as threatening as I'd heard. It was time to start a concerted effort to get to historic downtown Washington D.C.

The main problem was that there weren't so many ways to get there. Well, I could swim the Potomac, but why go bathing in radiation if you don't have to? So I found a bridge. Well, I found two bridges, but the first was covered in landmines and took me to an island covered in Mirelurks. Nevermind!

The second went to part of D.C. proper, but so many roads were full of collapsed building that it was very difficult to get around. I was basically still wandering the banks of the river, looking for a way in. And while I was looking, I found this place.



I believe the word is "Hoobawah?" The guy's name is Dukov. There are signs all around his place saying to holster your weapon or be shot. Talking to him and his harem, apparently he's got his one building kingdom of debauchery. (Just look at all the empty whisky bottles on the pool table.) One of the women likes him. One thinks he's a pig but doesn't have any other options. They were all more or less consenting adults in no danger, so I left them alone.

I turned around and went along the coast the other direction, past the Jefferson Memorial, and eventually made it to Rivet City.



Yep. It's a city in an old aircraft carrier.



Pretty sturdy. Pretty defensible. And it was full of a lot of people. And when there are a lot of people around, there are a lot of quests.

I met Bryan Wilks relative. She runs a hotel, so she had plenty of room and was happy to take him in. I fast traveled back and told him, and that was that. I patted myself on the head for being a good guy. :P

Back in Rivet City, some jerk in a suit wanted me to track down an android for him. So apparently that recording I found in Tenpenny Towers wasn't just fluff. I asked around and found out that the android had a mind wipe and facial reconstruction. He didn't even know he was an android anymore. Someone who had helped set him up in his new identity asked me to lie to the jerk and gave me a part of the android to deliver as proof. I did so and felt like I had almost certainly done the right thing. I still had the option to track down the android and tell him the truth, but that seemed unhelpful and potentially dangerous, so I left it alone.

Fallout 3 is one of the few games that doesn't feel purely Pavlovian: do a task; get a treat. I can understand why some people would find that confusing or less compelling than a predictable reward structure, but even though I found out later that there was a reward for finding the android and telling him, I was glad I did it my way.

On a somewhat related subject, it turned out my father had been to Rivet City.



This is Doctor Li. She saw my father recently. She said he went to the Jefferson Memorial. I don't know exactly how much of the main quest I skipped, but my old quest went poof, and I got a new one.



But I don't really care. He left me to die. I'm not really interested in a reunion. Let's go the the (National) Mall.

Next Time: Those who cannot learn from history...

No comments: