04 April, 2009

Mandatory Assclownery (Assassin's Creed)

written on Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I spent some more time just messing around with Assassin's Creed. Much like Burnout, I appreciate the effort, even if I think the final product has significant problems. So I wanted to give the game more attention.

It was fun. This was surprising to me. In story mode, it always felt like I could never quite do what I wanted. I couldn't assassinate a target by throwing a knife from within a crowd. I couldn't always target who I wanted because the game was designed for analog sticks and not keyboard controls, et cetera.

But when I had no goals any more besides wandering around and messing with guards, I actually enjoyed myself. Sure, I'd still occasionally get stuck on stuff or encounter other little frustrations, but when there was no goal to fail, no progress to lose, and I just didn't care. I still say playing the campaign proper is a three. But fooling around and being a dork is a four.

So again, as with Burnout, I have made video contrition.

While leading the guards on merry chases around the city, I was reminded of the sped up chases on The Benny Hill Show. I looked up Assassin's Creed clips using the theme song from that show (Yakety Sax) and was profoundly disappointed. None of them captured the feel of the Benny Hill chases. So I killed two birds (my contrition and the lack of a proper Benny Hill style Assassin's Creed video on YouTube) with one stone by recording and uploading the following.



MediaFire Upload

You may remember that I initially said it was easier to just slaughter twenty guys than run away. That is obviously no longer the case. I've spent enough time messing around that I can toy with a rampaging herd of guards indefinitely. I retract my earlier statement about running away being broken. (I called it stealth, but it's really running away.)

It can be unreliable, and since I was using it when a fight was going poorly, it was unreliable enough to get me killed. But it's going too far to say it's flat out broken.

No comments: