17 April, 2009

Keepalive: Keep (Hope) Alive

written on Friday, April 17, 2009

no gaming today

I read the news, wandered the forums a bit, and listened to some podcasts, but no games were played. (Yes. I played Jam Sessions, but that doesn't really count. This blog should be for gaming, not application software.)



I'm still waiting for GTA: Chinatown Wars to arrive. In the meantime, the NPDs are out and the sales for the game in its release month (March) were frighteningly low. Hopefully it will sell well over time, but it's pretty freaky. It's Grand Theft Auto. It has the highest average review score of any DS game ever. How could it not sell?

And what are other publishers going to think? It makes it look like high quality mature titles are not welcome on the DS.

Hopefully it will sell well over time. (Please?)



I downloaded the single player demo for Dawn of War II. In my fantasy, it would be like Titan Quest with robots. In reality, I think I'll be clicking like crazy, managing the camera and constantly repositioning my squads. I wanna feel like a hero, not a waitress during the lunch rush. We'll see.



Finally, one game I've been tracking for a long time, Borderlands (by Gearbox), announced their new art style. The responses I've read on forums seem generally favorable. A lot of people were worried that the game would feel painfully generic, what with its randomly generated guns and apparent similarities to Rage (by id). I considered the inclusion of up to 4 person co-op what made it distinctive, but the new art style will set it apart instantly to a much broader audience. With all the personnel cuts at Gearbox, I was happy just to hear that the game was still probably coming out.

I hope it's good.

No comments: