14 February, 2009

MMO Impressions: Shin Megami Tensei Imagine

written on Friday, Feb. 13, 2009

Oh wow. I am SO GLAD to be writing this!

It means I am NO LONGER PLAYING MEGATEN ONLINE!

Imagine the word gratitude. Picture that word in your mind. Hug it like a loved one you haven't seen in a long time. That's how I feel to not be playing this game any more.

It's the pacing. Everything is incredibly slow. The environments are cavernous and empty and take forever to traverse. Some bits of the tutorial even repeat. And the design...



I've seen student projects with significantly better art. I suppose the people and their crazy pets are supposed to provide the visual interest.



But I'm not here to look at pets. I'm here to do stuff. The tutorial takes way too long teaching the basics of melee combat then just dumps you into the world.

I was told to go capture a Leader Pixie and never told how that worked. Some monsters dropped collectible cards and some NPCs had an interest in sets of cards, but what the rewards were, or even what cards went into a set was never explained. There was a place to store excess monsters, but I couldn't get it to work. The game was confusing, and I wasn't sure if any of the things it hinted I could do would be any fun at all.

Of course that still puts it somewhat ahead of Perfect World which was unplayable due to an unexpected server outage.

No comments: