23 February, 2009

Keepalive: Perfect World, Devil May Cry

written on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

I have played more Perfect World. When I go to an area where a group is killing stuff and ask to join, I usually get an invite and my quest goes quicker. While this is somewhat attributable to the more relaxed feel of the game, it is probably also due to me not caring if things get messed up since I actively seek out dying every so often anyway.

My only wish is that crafting materials I need from bad guys would drop more often. Even keeping my level down so I'm farming much more, it's simply not possible to get enough mats to keep myself in homemade gear, much less have leftover materials to skill up / craft gear to sell. This double sucks because my class is largely gear dependent. Wah, wah, wah.

I mentioned the idea that maybe my being satisfied with Perfect World meant my tastes were changing. To test this hypothesis, I put Devil May Cry back in the PS2.

Some of you have heard me refer to DMC as an old girlfriend. I know I shouldn't see her. That relationship has run its course. But when we run into each other, it's like we never spent a day apart. Is that still true?



Yes.

By whatever diety or force you believe in, yes! I don't care about the occasional horrible camera angles. I don't care about the nonsensical button layout. That game is better than any game you like. It's probably better than you.

Well, maybe that's a little extreme. It's probably only as good as DooM. But in my reality, that's like saying it's only as good as true love.

Long story short: DMC holds up. My tastes are unchanged.

Maybe they're broadening. Maybe.

Or maybe I'm just avoiding my real life.

No comments: