05 February, 2009

Game Journal: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

written on Monday, Feb. 2, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

In my previous entry I gave you a taste of the humor and charm that make good Mario RPGs good. Now it's time for a bit of dry mechanics talk.

I hate RPGs. I love action games. Mario RPGs let me time button presses to get more damage on my attacks and avoid damage from enemies. It's the simplest possible way to keep the action interesting, and it works. They're pretty much the only RPGs where combat is fun for me.

They also do a good job of scaling the difficulty. If I was a terrible player, I could equip special items that would make combat require less precise timing. As I'm a good player, I equip items that give me more coins and double the XP I get if I go an entire battle without taking damage. If I was super confident, I could equip an item that made me take and dish out double damage. :O

So the combat's fun. The story is cute and clever. And there's a lot of secret stuff to find and upgrade with. If it wasn't for the overworld movement being too fussy (having to constantly change abilities to get around various obstacles) it'd be pure delight. Even as it is, I'd say it's easily up there with Rocket Slime as one of my favorite portable games.

No comments: