06 February, 2009

Game Journal: Arx Fatalis

written on Monday, Feb. 2, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

I've Arx Fatalis. Going in with low expectations has definitely helped the game. The combat generally lives up to those expectations and is no fun. But the rest of the game is pretty impressive, by comparison. It's very much an adventure game.

Get the jewler's permit. Get it signed. Take it to the goblin guards. Solve the mystery of the missing astronomer. Talk to the snake lady. Wait, what?



Oh. Snake lady. Creepy. She seems nice enough, though.

As an adventure game, it's a throwback, but a tolerable one, especially with GameFAQs at the ready. But the combat's almost bad enough that I wish it was just an adventure game.



This spider was a huge pain to kill. That's partly because I gave my character lots of intelligence and dexterity instead of strength and health while the game didn't give me much in the way of offensive magic. The worst part was one mission where I was locked in a room with a hostile goblin with zero offensive magic. It must have taken ten tries before I finally beat him. If I could have gotten the cheat codes to actually work, I'd have become invincible and been done with it. As it is, I just cheated to get access to a bunch more spells. Hopefully that will keep me out of trouble so I can focus on wandering through the puzzles and enjoying the local color.

The cheat also gave me an extra bag, which was awesome as I was always having to run back and forth to different stashes. And weapons in the game degrade quickly, so it's good to be able to carry a few with me.

No comments: