07 February, 2009

Demo Impressions: Burnout Paradise

written on Friday, Feb. 6, 2009

Well, it turns out the demo only worked for a half hour, so my second session will be my last with the game. Ten minutes of play per gigabyte of download is not an acceptable ratio. :P

Due to some kind of bug, I was able to drive something other than the default car. I also finally hunted around for the handbrake and boost buttons and mapped them onto my game pad. With boosting available, the game finally feels fast. Overall, though, the demo doesn't leave me feeling good about the PC friendliness of the game. Over a year in porting and it still feels like the PC version is an afterthought. I'll probably pick it up some day, but not today.

I still wanted to show some appreciation, though, for the fact that they're trying to get it right. My devotion took the form of spending a few hours writing a chip tune to go with some gameplay footage.



High res version available here.

2 comments:

Salt Racer said...

Well done, sir. Well done.

Blain Newport said...

Thanks. :)

Coming from the award winning videographer, that means a lot.