24 June, 2012

Ghosts of San Francisco

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, 24 June, 2012

I picked up Driver: San Francisco because I'd heard good things and it was on sale. It's a driving game with a weird premise. You're a cop chasing a crook when your car gets hit. Your character gets put into a coma, but now your spirit can fly around and possess other drivers.



My physical body has been loaded inside the ambulance. I have possessed the driver and now have to drive my body to the hospital before I die.

Even if you can follow what's going on, it doesn't really make sense. Ambulance drivers know how to drive fast, and they know the route to the hospital much better than the player.

But that's the least of the nonsense in this game. Even though you and your partner got t-boned by a semi, there's still a car with the two of you on the road. Not only that, but when you float around the city to find a mission, then come back to the ghost car with you and your partner, your partner is talking to you like you've been with him in the car the whole time, not saying anything. There's even more weirdness, but there's no point in talking about it.

Coming right off of Far Cry 2, I was hoping that Ubisoft's PC port for Driver SF would be just as good. But it's got frame rate issues which make the driving feel lousy, so its madness will have to wait for my next PC. Given my buying habits, that should be early 2017.

No comments: