01 June, 2009

Keepalive: Neo Contra, Aliens vs Predator 2, Republic Commando, E3

written on Monday, June 1, 2009

This entry was an hour and fifteen minutes late.

After playing The Red Star, I wanted to confirm my preference for Neo Contra. And yes, it is far superior. What's more, I'd forgotten how deliciously insane the game is. The cut scenes involve impossible acrobatics. And the game involves ridiculous situations, like fighting from on top of the spinning blades of a helicopter. I think the style of the game was originally a send up of 80s action movies, but somehow became so much more ridiculous they became send ups of themselves.

I still haven't managed to do well enough to get the best ending yet, but so far the first bad ending is the best one anyway. The bad guy destroys the planet. How awesome is that?

Okay. It's kind of horrifying out of context. But in the context of the completely over the top nature of the game, I found it highly awesome.



Aliens vs Predator 2 is a classic that hasn't aged well. It's mostly that the enemy AI is super simple and the environments are super plain. It all feels a little empty. There was a story about a sequel, being worked on by the same team that did the original that's fairly exciting. I don't know why that game and Gearbox's Colonial Marines game were being worked on side by side. With no Aliens movie in the works, that seems pretty strange. I just hope both games eventually come out and are good.

I'm a gamer. I'm greedy that way.



Republic Commando doesn't show its age quite as badly (which makes sense because it's not as old). But it always makes me sad the game has no co-op / sequel with co-op when I play it. Unfortunately, LucasArts fired their entire development staff. Maybe the former employees will get together as freelancers and be allowed to do the sequel as a contracting firm.

Yeah. And maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.



E3 is underway. Supposedly the major publishers have held on to some big announcements, so it shouldn't be the non-event it was last year. Plus they're letting in more people to raise the spectacle quotient again. I think I may actually care this year. We'll see.

No comments: