31 October, 2008

Keepalive: Jericho, Yakuza 2, Penny Arcade 2

I've put up a couple chapters of Jericho. It's not a long game, but the process of compressing and uploading the videos is very cumbersome. Also, I started to have frame rate issues, which I realized were because I was filling up the hard disk. Now that I've deleted the source movies, I'm back to a hundred gigs free, but I'm still thinking it's time to reformat.

I spent way too much time on my dumb hostess club. At least the host club experience was good for laughs. Outside of some bracelet, I've gotten nothing but wasted time to show for running a hostess club. Every menu takes too many button presses to get through. The time it takes to build up enough money to renovate the club while still paying enough bonuses to keep the hostesses happy is obscene. Now I realize that the reason there's a "dress up" game in Yakuza 3 is probably because you can trick out your hostesses. I respect the Japanese-ness of the game, but I don't want to pay money for it unless they've streamlined the process, and made it fun. When I finally got back to the game and got into a fight, it was like getting paroled.

I finished the second Penny Arcade game. I'm oddly detached from the experience. The combat system keeps me hopping what with active blocking, attacking, and putting in the many button presses required to pull off special attacks. Many things, which can scientifically be proven to be awesome happen over the course of the game. But, like the man said, "Science is not about your feelings", and my main feeling is apathy. Perhaps it's because the whole point of the first game was to beat down evil because it destroyed your house and was looking to destroy the world. The second game makes your homelessness a running gag, and I frequently lost sight of any overarching goal. Nothing felt new, and nothing mattered. 3 of 5

No comments: