04 June, 2009

Keepalive: Republic Commando, New Super Mario Bros., Majora's Mask

written on Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Republic Commando is still a great game. For some reason I'm playing the campaigns in reverse order, and it doesn't make much difference. It's amazing how much the fiction still works for me. I still want to know what their next mission was. I still want to know the fate of the character something happens to. (Vague enough?) I don't think Karen Traviss' Republic Commando books directly deal with the characters from the game, but I'm almost tempted to pick them up just to read something vaguely related. Is it sadder that the game won't get a sequel, or that I won't shut up about how badly it needs one? :P

Some day I'm going to do a video playthrough, just to make all of you as attached to the fiction and characters as I am. Misery loves company.



I finally got over the screen being too small and picked up New Super Mario Bros. again. Now I'm annoyed at the save system. It's a portable game, but it only saves when I clear the two castles at the middle and end of a "world". It's unpleasant.

The game itself is Mario. It's got some differences from Mario 3 and Mario World, but I would say it's definitely a lesser game thus far. That still makes it good, but I'm old and crusty and need to complain about how much worse things are today than they were in my day. :)



Majora's Mask was the second Zelda game on the N64. It recently came out on the Virtual Console for the Wii, reminding me I hadn't played it. I honestly didn't care for Ocarina of Time very much, but I'm finding Majora's Mask a little more interesting. It's kind of like Zelda combined with Groundhog Day. I keep living the same three days over and over. Every time my bombs, arrows, and other items get reset to zero. There's a magical bank I can stash my money in so I don't lose it, but it's still strange. Also, I can fix people's problems for them, but everything's broken again when I start over.

Some folks have found that discouraging. So far I don't mind. I don't ever imagine I'll try to plan out the "perfect" three days where I run all over and fix everyone's problems. I'm not even sure the game supports that.

The only problem I have is that it's sometimes pretty difficult to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. There's a book where I write down who needs help, but it doesn't seem to give me enough to go on. I've already resorted to a FAQ once to figure out how to deal with an obstructing boulder. I'll try and stay away from it if I can. It's more interesting to discover things myself. But if there's one thing worse than grinding, it's aimless wandering.

No comments: