12 June, 2009

Keepalive: Bully, Action Half-Life 2, Radiator 1-1: Polaris

written on Friday, June 12, 2009

I finished Bully again. I found a game breaking bug. The last location you have to go has two entrances. Apparently the developers forgot, though, because the sneakier one hangs at the loading screen. I also broke it by driving really fast in the go kart. I drove faster than the game could load and fell out of the world. In the game's defense, my PS2 is half a decade old, which is pretty amazing. The PS2 was the 360 of its generation. I'm actually going to retire it early for a new PS2 slim because there are certain types of discs only the older PS2 can read, so I should save it for those games.

Back to Bully, I also forgot about one mission where the main character declares his love for a girl in the game, she tells him there's trouble, he goes to take off, and she suddenly doesn't want him to go. It feels phonier than a used car salesman's profile on an internet dating site. It's kind of sad that I've gotten so used to ridiculous character turns that blocking them from my memory has become instinctive.

Bully is a perfect game. Who says it isn't? :)



I have similar blind spots with AHL2. The respawn system is terrible. No only will it frequently spawn you in the middle of firefights, it will also spawn you inside of other characters, forcing you to kill whoever you're stuck in to get free. It's lame. But when your diving into somebody's face with a double barreled sawed-off, all is forgiven.



Rock, Paper, Shotgun gave a pointer toward Radiator 1-1: Polaris. They compared it to Dear Esther, which was basically just a walk with lots of voice overs. Polaris actually gives you something to do, solving a simple astronomy puzzle. I was never into astronomy, so it was a learning experience. The story stuff was well done, but there's not really a plot or much characterization. I guess these arty games are supposed to be simple and short but have a profound message. I never seem to get it.

I think I've just been too trained to solve the problem and ignore the story. When the story is the point, I often feel like it should have been a short film instead.

I have a lot of blind spots.

No comments: