29 July, 2012

Death for Children

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, 29 July, 2011



This is the beginning of Splinter Cell: Conviction. You're Sam Fisher, super secret spy guy. In the tutorial, you protect your home from criminals by murdering them. I forget whether your daughter sees you kill them or just sees the bodies, but the game treats the violence so lightly (as most games do) that none of it has any dramatic weight.

The story then jumps forward many years. Sam's daughter has died in a car accident. He's quit the spy game because he has nothing left to spy for. I don't think it takes three minutes before someone is telling you your daughter isn't really dead and you're back to shooting mans in the name of patriotism.

I often say that the stories in games aren't worth talking about. This is the type of thing I mean. It's so ham handed that I'm actually glad the execution is lackluster. It's what half-hearted, manipulative writing deserves.

No comments: