27 August, 2007

PAX 2007: The Event

As an event, PAX 2007 was definitely well run. What follows are my impressions of the PAX events I attended.

Panels

Keynote
I declare a man crush on Wil Wheaton. :) Considering every promo of his speech talked about him having no idea what he wanted to say, my expectations were low, which made the truly excellent speech that much better. It helps that I'm only two years younger than Wil, so his experiences synced up with mine a lot. He had a lot of great jokes. He mentioned a lot of great games. And he emphasized how much games bring people together. It was awesome. I only wish I'd remembered to start the "One Of Us" chant at the end. It could have been a moment.

One caveat: I couldn't endorse his "Don't be a dick" statement. Being a dick is awesome, as long as the recipient deserves it and / or it's hilarious.


Penny Arcade Q&A
Gabe and Tycho came out to "Every Day I'm Hustlin". I'm not familiar with the song, but I hear it in my head every time I see them now. :P My main memories from the panel were of the brain damaged guy who never actually asked a coherent question and the homosexual double entendres Gabe couldn't seem to escape. Tycho's live singing of "My Belruel" was beautiful. Reverb owns. :) Oh, and some guy from the audience was allowed to come up and make the same entrance Gabe and Tycho did (minus the fact that the house lights were still on). At the end they brought out Uwe Boll. He's officially dead to me, so I left. I heard he got a sound verbal drubbing. Good for the PAXers.

Life Cuts into Gaming
This panel was people working long hours or trying to balance work, family, and gaming. I don't really know why I went, as I'm neither of those, but it was a good panel.

1UP Yours Live
I listen to headphones at work, and 1UP Yours is a staple of my listening diet, so it was cool to see the folks in person. I got to tell a joke, say thank you for the podcast, and tried to discuss my fears about gaming getting mainstreamed, which really didn't go anywhere. Also Garnett Lee said I looked like a character out of Mall Rats. It stung to get insulted by someone I was so happy to be talking to, but that's how the 1UP guys are, and it's probably a fair cop. (I haven't seen Mall Rats.)

PA Family Feud
Apparently this was Pork's idea back during the first PAX, but didn't come to fruition until this year. The answers the survey provided were kind of lame. They may need to find a better way of getting the survey done, though, as some of the answers were kind of weak. Street Fighter was apparently never answered on the "Name a Video Game Movie" question. WTF?

Concerts
Let me preface by saying I am too old to stand in one place for four and a half hours. I was so burned out on concerts I didn't even see Frontalot, so that would make me totally burned out.

One Ups
It's like what you'd get if The Dave Matthews Band covered game music with a few too many solos. Their set was a freaking hour and a half.

Optimus Rhyme
Wonderful and unintelligible as always. :)

Freezepop
Very fun, but lots of problems. Liz lost the pitch, the beat, and the words a few times, partially due to monitor problems. French Ghost was great, but The Duke was still missed.

Jonathan Coulton
Very nice. I hadn't heard his stuff before, but I enjoy it. I don't think it's stuff I'd listen to every day, but it did have the distinction of being the only music quiet enough that you could actually hear it. And his cover of Baby Got Back was just too good for words.

Other

Gaby & Tycho Signing
I fucked up by actually having them sign stuff. It was all business, and that's sad. Next year I'm not going to have them sign anything and just say how glad I am to be there and make sure Gabe understands how proud I am of him for defending childhood. That (combined with the response he got) was one of the greatest things I've read in a long time.

Console Freeplay
The most fun I had at PAX was learning to play Mario Strikers Charged with three other PAXers. In the couple hours we had, we only managed to win one round (not match, just round) against the level three AI, but it didn't matter. Every goal was a victory and a very loud one, at that. My apologies to anyone we may have thrown off their game, but yes, we were having that much fun.

Everything Else
The organizers and Enforcers did a damn fine job. Things ran ridiculously smoothly. It was awesome. I need to volunteer next year.

1 comment:

3rr0r said...

In case you're as bad at me at checking the PA boards, I'm adding my PM to you as a comment here:

Holy balls! So Yeah, apparently it's been a while since I logged onto the PA message boards...

Post PAX was a bummer for a while, tho I still haven't gotten to many of the demo disks I picked up, or eaten my Naruto ramen (considering having the later framed). Lately I've been hooked on various Steam games (AudioSurf FTW), and RockBand @ jay427's.

So Frontalot... Took my wife to a show in November at 'The Living Room" in Providence RI. This place is a total dump I used to see shows at in college because they didn't care about underage drinking or *cough* other extra-curriculars. bear with me a sec, as I'm about to ramble (alot, sorry):

There were a few opening aspiring rappers who had crappy sound, and really kinda sucked. The girl rapper sang about being violated in some really dirty ways, so that was at least amusing.
Front's act was awesome, tho sadly by the end of the night, there were only nine (9) of us there. I felt kinda bad for the band that they had to open their fall tour that way. On the upside, I got to chat with the Front for a bit after the show after he signed my tour posters. (note: the next night in Boston was indeed well attended) As exciting as it was to see the Front, I gotta say my highlight of the show was being introduced the middle act, a man who goes by 'Schaefer the Darklord'. Twisted. Nerdy. Hilarious. (Go check out his youtube video for 'The Rappist').

Between downloading the Optimus Rhyme discography upon my PAX return, and the effect that that Schaeffer/Frontalot show had on me, I've now immersed myself completely into Nerdcore. I don't see any way out, and I like, no, LOVE it!

Anyway, in closing:
-Crap! sorry I never replied sooner!
-If you're going to be at PAX this year, let me know. I'm about 80% sure I'll be there
-Go find music from Optimus Rhyme, Schaefer the Darklord, Beefy (beefyness.com/music) and check out the Rhyme Torrent albums. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Happy Gaming!
-Matt