20 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

After more wanderings (including hunting a deathclaw that was hunting some people who gave me a treasure map in return), I finally got to Oasis.



It's green. I think it was just about the only green I'd seen outside of Tenpenny Towers. And the people here seemed happy to see me. I don't remember if they considered me a promised one or just a nice guy. (Remember, it was over a month ago that I played Fallout 3.) But they wanted me to meet the tree "diety" that had made this place possible. I just had to drink the sacred beverage.



Sacred beverage is much like Perth Pink from the Monty Python Australian Table Wines sketch. "This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding."



And no beverage is good when it is followed by waking up next to something that looks like this. This is Harold, part man, part tree. Actually, he's kind of not. He calls the tree that has grown over him Bob. That's not its name, but he likes to annoy it by calling it that. Harold claims to have been exploring a military base called Mariposa. He fell into a vat of something green and somehow fused with a tree. The details are both muddy and suspect.

Harold wanted me to go find his heart, underground in Bob's roots, and kill him. One cultist wanted me to put a salve on his heart that would curtail his growth and stop him from spreading into the wasteland, giving away Oasis' position. Another wanted me to use a different mixture which would allow him to keep growing, eventually bringing the wasteland back to life. I took the last option. It was a risk, but one worth taking, I thought.

In real life I probably would have just left the whole thing alone. But I had heard that at the end of the game they would have a section detailing "how things worked out" with all the people and places I'd had an affect on, and I was curious.



Speaking of curious, before I left, the local mystic gave me a fortune. While I haven't finished the game, I'm at the last encounter and still have no idea what this meant. Perhaps it means that sacred beverage rots your brain. :P

Next Time: Deathclaw City

No comments: