14 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Friday, August 14, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.



Deathclaws: the nastiest animals in the Capitol Wasteland. I had finally gotten up to a high enough level where I felt like I might be able to take them on, the operative word being might. Fighting a deathclaw is suicide.



In the background is a deathclaw. In the foreground are two of the four bears it killed single-handed. Even fighting bears is dicey. No, the only way to take down a deathclaw is a sneak attack from a powerful weapon. With a perk called Improved Critical Strikes, I can kill a deathclaw from stealth in one shot, or wound it enough that I can finish it off before it closes the gap. But without the element of surprise, I'm likely dead, which is what made the following encounter so nerve wracking.



While exploring a section of broken freeway, a deathclaw saw me from a distance and came to investigate. I don't know if hiding behind the tire was really necessary, but I didn't want to leave any chance that it might see me. Eventually, it gave up and went to resume its course.



I followed, with grave misgivings. I had taken a perk that allowed me to crouch run instead of crouch walk, but that made me only slightly faster than the walking speed of the monster.



Ordinarily I'd want to move up behind that tree in case it turned around, but my crouch speed was so slow that I didn't feel like I could afford even a tiny detour.



The entire pursuit probably didn't take two minutes, but I was so intent that it felt like an eternity. Step by step. Inch by inch. I took this picture just moments before I pulled the trigger.



And this one just moments after. I had managed a daylight deathclaw hunt. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart, or the sensible.


Next Time: Military Leftovers

No comments: