12 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Wedneday, August 12, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

I was exploring. In truth, I was trying to find a Chinese radio signal I heard on a previous exploration. But I could never seem to find it again.

What I did find was a point of interest on the map that looked like a small town. As I approached it, I encountered a storage shed with a Very Hard lock on it. Very Hard locks are usually reserved for heavy military installation or places that store nuclear material. Even though it would cost me some Karma, exploring it was a must. This town obviously had a serious secret.



Yep. That's serious. Plus, the refrigerator you can't see (left of frame) was full of "strange meat". I'd met some hunters selling strange meat before. One of them was killed by a raider and I looted him. So I had some strange meat in my inventory. That creeped me out, so I dumped it. When I exited the shack, the townspeople appeared out of nowhere and attacked. I maybe could have talked my way out of it, but if they were the type of people who would kill a person just for disapproving of them, they needed killin'. No court in Texas would convict me. (I wonder what happened to Texas in the Fallout future.)

It turned out there was an old man and two kids who lived there. Life's gonna suck for them the next time some raiders roll through, but the game gave me no option to let them move into my Megaton house I never use or any of the empty houses near my place in Grayditch. I guess it was a sense of my fatigue with the game as a whole that I really could muster any moral outrage or even disappointment that the designers didn't bother to give me any good options in this situation.

And here's a picture of me trapped in an overturned railroad car while a super mutant behemoth beats on me.



If I backed against the back wall he could still hit me, but wouldn't try to hit me very often, so I survived. The funny part was how this ambush was triggered. I found a cage with a teddy bear inside in a super mutant camp. I opened the cage. The teddy bear started waving, which could have been intentional or could have been a physics bug. But I suddenly got this really weird feeling that the teddy bear wasn't waving at me and turned around to see the behemoth loping over the horizon. It was freaky.



This was also freaky. You might remember back in the day when I was running errands for Moira. Well, I was helping her write this book to help people survive in the wasteland. When we finished it up, I didn't think about it again. But now people were walking up to me talking about it. When I told her I helped write it she called me "the great survivor" and said "Bless you, oh bless you for sharing your wisdom with mankind! You've given us all a chance to hope again!" It was awkward but cool that it was helping people out.

Next Time: More Stuff That Happened in Fallout 3

No comments: