07 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Friday, August 7, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

On my way to collect my reward from Reilly for rescuing the Rangers, I came across a guy in an unusual predicament.


Apparently some crazy jerk with a loudspeaker had trapped him between some super mutants and a minefield.



There he is, preaching random madness with his finger on a trigger. If you look closely, you can see that there are Mini Nukes in the alley. I shot the crazy guy and collected four Mini Nukes. It was kind of a letdown that the guy who was trapped never moved on. I've been by his position weeks later and he's still on the same corner.



Eventually I found the Rangers' headquarters. Reilly offered me some armor or "one of Brick's miniguns". My armor was fine, so a unique minigun sounded cool. I didn't know she was going to give me Eugene. The connection between a soldier and their favorite weapon is a special one. I vowed to take good care of Eugene. I would use other miniguns for parts to fix him up and use him for a special purpose.


Things were going pretty good in the Capital, so I went back to the Mall. I'd cleaned out the Museum of History already. So this time I went for the Museum of Technology. I guess the game developer couldn't get clearance to use the name Smithsonian.



Maybe it's just me, but seeing a super mutant hanging out by the wreck of the Wright Brothers' plane is particularly surreal.



They also had a 50s style rocket ship and a lot of other displays which talked about the fictional history of the Fallout world. It seemed cool, but I wasn't in the mood. I decided to fight my way to Congress.



As it turned out, the fighting was already in progress. Super mutants were fighting off a Talon Company assault. Who do you root for?



Here's a picture of a TC merc running into the dome to fight a super mutant behemoth.



And here he is being crushed into lasagna filling. Blegh.



I was somewhat worried about having to fight the behemoth, but he got stuck in a wall, so it was more time consuming than dangerous. Lame.



I finally found Congress. There wasn't anyone (but some super mutants) there, which worked out as I hadn't actually prepared a speech. I would have thought there would have been some Ultimate Leadership Bomb Shelter under the building, but apparently not. I decided I was bored with D.C. and it was time to do some exploring elsewhere.

Next Time: Oddities

No comments: