02 August, 2009

Game Journal: Fallout 3

written by Blain Newport on Saturday, August 1, 2009

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

This installment is photo heavy.


City fighting is more my character's element. It's super dark in the metro tunnels, and there's lots of cover in the streets, so it's easier to sneak around.


That means lots sneaking into position, lots of VATS, and lots of headshots.


It's hard to say whether the resultant gore is silly or grotesque. The idea of it is grotesque, but the parts of the head are obviously too big to have actually come from what I was shooting and look like they're made of molded plastic.


This image really isn't very good, but I like the sense of vertigo it produces. I can almost feel the rubber sole of the boot on the rough edge of the concrete, because if I was actually up that high, my mind would be very focused on the one piece of leverage between me and a plummet to the asphalt.


This guy was doing the Thriller dance. Too soon.


Here is a female raider, sitting politely, hands in lap. I'll kill her in just a second (Hey, she'd do the same to me.), but first a bit about the robot in the tube on the right.

The D.C. metro has a lot of these inactive security robots lying around. I'd picked up a metro pass at some point, so the robots wouldn't attack me. The weird thing was, I didn't really want to activate them. They generally got their butts kicked by raiders, ghouls, or super mutants in short order, and it seemed cruel to send them off to die like that. My brother confirmed having the same feelings.

Now back to the carnage.





Again, it's hard to take it too seriously when heads go bouncing around like volleyballs. But I can understand if others are appalled and horrified. For me, it's just part of the process of traversing D.C., something to keep me busy on the way to finding the next story or quest.

Next Time: A Story and a Quest

No comments: