06 January, 2009

A Sad Day

Well. By the time you read this, it was a sad yesterday (or last week, or last year...). I'd heard that 1UP was sold to UGO, and that EGM, the only gaming mag I subscribe to, was being shut down. I was tentatively hopeful that this meant most of the online operations would go on with roughly the same sadness that accompanied the closing of GFW Magazine. But from what I've just read, the cuts are going even deeper this time. Or maybe it's more appropriate to say their just happening all at once. When GFW Magazine shut down, the public losses were staggered.

Of the announced cutbacks, Ryan O'Donnell and Matt Chandronait are the one's that meant the most to me. They did the leg work to get the 1UP Show made. Matt has also been a frequent and welcome presence on 1UP FM. And Ryan expressed a love for Blaster Master on the 1UP show at the same time I was making my Blaster Master buttons for PAX. He couldn't attend (because of a wrist injury, if I recall correctly). So I gave one of each design to David Ellis to pass on. I hope Ryan got them.

Anyway, there are a lot of people looking for work these days, but in a small way, these were people that I knew. They seemed like good people and they did good work. I hope they find employers who appreciate them.

No comments: