21 January, 2009

Game Journal: Gothic 3

GAME JOURNALS CONTAIN SPOILERS. DEAL WITH IT PINK BOY.

Whoops. Sorry for the late post. I've grown fond of the standard 6AM updates. In keeping with the theme of Gothic 3 as comfort food, I am reminded that quantity can be more reassuring than quality.

So here's you're quantity of me for the day.

As you might expect, it includes dinosaur punching.



I had just gotten to Trelis, a small castle near the southern border. I'd been doing the usual: exploring ruins, helping villagers; running errands for the orcs to get them to trust me. I'd just done a questionable deed of telling the orcs that it was a human druid who had killed a bunch of villagers and decided it was time to do some more exploring.

After wandering a while, I heard sounds of conflict. I rushed forward to see to slaves being attacked by Snappers. I waded in and helped them out. After the Snappers were dead, the slaves just kept walking. They didn't have special names (like "frightened slave" or "escaping slave"), so it was very odd to see them out and about unsupervised.

As they came upon more Snappers and Ripperbeasts, they would throw caution to the wind and attack. It made no freaking sense. I kept them alive through ten Snappers and two Ripperbeasts, all the while wondering, where could we possibly be going? What scripted event could this possibly be for? Eventually they managed to provoke an entire bandit camp and I couldn't save them. But it was entertainingly surreal while it lasted. The two slaves with no fear apparently found what they were looking for.

On the plus side, they led me to the desert, a welcome change of scenery.



Cue Lawrence of Arabia music. :)

No comments: