19 July, 2008

Dr. Horrible

So I just watched Dr. Horrible. There was a twist at the end. I didn't get it, so it's running again in the background. Hopefully I'll catch it this time. Regardless, at the end of the day, it probably couldn't have met my unreasonably high expectations. I wish someone had adjusted them for me. I suppose I could have if I'd read more about it, but I wanted to be surprised.

Oh well. It was great to see Nathan Fillion, David Fury, Marti Noxon, and Mike Massa again. (Not that I could tell it was Mike until the credits, of course.) Oh, and seeing the Mutant Enemy logo again was nice too.

Okay, it ran again. It wasn't really a twist. It was just indicating a character's feelings in a jarring way. But since I already knew that's how he felt, it was confusing.

Part of me wants to talk out my feelings (which is the part that will win, but hear me out), and part of me wants to leave it to the rest of the internet. They're smarter than I am, after all. They'll see things that I don't, and express feelings I forgot I had. But that doesn't stop me from having them. And writing makes my feelings go away. Sweet, sweet, oblivion.

I'm guessing the main problem was schedule. Rehearsal schedule as well as shooting. It just seems like a lot of people didn't understand how their characters were supposed to feel or what the gag was supposed to be. It felt half hearted. I know it wasn't. It was the opposite, a labor of love. But love, poorly expressed, can be very off-putting.

This is where I would start getting more specific, but Joss Whedon knows what doesn't work. The actors know what doesn't work. And the truth is, Firefly made the fans so die hard that they'll hold sing alongs and live events that will be far better than the film itself. In a better world, Joss would always have a series (or two) on the air. In this world, I just get a little sadder. Meh.

No comments: