10 June, 2008

Oblivion: Remora Politics

While I've still been taking screenshots in Oblivion, there are too many little stories to tell. And many of them feel very much the same. The strong feed on the week. And I, still being quite weak, am mostly like a remora.

When I was a child, we had a book called "Fish Do the Strangest Things". One of the featured animals was the remora. It latches on to a shark using a suction cup on its forehead. When the shark eats, the remora gets the scraps. I feel very much like that fish. Let's list some examples.


















Shark Victim
Some bandits Porkins
Some skeletons Some bandits
A werewolf Some skeletons


Is a pattern becoming evident? I'm not killing anything, just running away from it until something bigger kills it for me. That's not always the case. I do occasionally find manageable enemies. But it's still pretty messed up to realize that most of my best gear has come form corpses of stuff I didn't kill. This was really driven home to me on the road to Kvatch. I barely got out of Skingrad before being set upon by three or four bandits. I might have been able to take them, but it would have been a long and unpleasant fight, and nightfall was coming, so I decided to ran. I kept running by more bandits and having them chase me as well. Then there was some crazy plant monster on my tail. I ran. Eventually, I outdistanced them. However, being unable to further the quest at Kvatch (as I was far too low level) I had to go back. I was unenthused.

The first thing I found on the road was a body. One of the bandits was dead. A little further on, I saw another dead bandit, but before I even reached the body to loot it, the plant creature attacked. Luckily (or thanks to my judicious spending of attribute points on my speed stat) I could outrun it. And thanks to loot menus stopping the clock on the game world, I got to loot the bodies of every bandit that had chased me to Kvetch, as the plant creature had killed them all. I may be quite weak, but I'm also quite wealthy. But I'm tired of running, so I'm going to head back to the starting areas to grind some levels. Fools will be pummeled.

1 comment:

Salt Racer said...

Fools will be pummeled and awesomeness will ensue.