09 June, 2008

Oblivion: On the Road Again


Meet Porkins. Okay, his name isn't really Porkins. But the game didn't give him a name, so I get call him Porkins after the short lived X-Wing pilot. He's warning me about Daedra (the demons of the game world) being around and to stay on the road. He didn't need to. I was going to anyway. Regardless, it's nice to know there are guards around.



And Magul apparently didn't get too far in the six hours I was asleep. But on closer inspection of her "Paint" horse, it appears to be made of painted concrete, so that's understandable.

[Encounter Not Pictured]
A cat man jumped out of a bush and demanded my money or my life. I have FRAPS taking screenshots automatically every sixty seconds. It took less time than that for me to evaluate his offer, refuse it, watch Porkins, Magul, and the other two nearby guards dispatch him, and loot the body. It's good to have friends (and dedicated civil servants).

After moving further up the road, I came to a small inn.



I talked to the guy sitting out front in the middle of the night. I asked him about the local rumors and he repeatedly told me that province so and so is the breadbasket of Tamriel. I don't know if he didn't like me, didn't really know anything, or just thought that this information was somehow crucial to a lizard man such as myself.

The inn patrons indoors had more interesting things to say.



Apparently there are demon worshipers on some island somewhere. And the innkeeper wants me to kill a Necromancer. I distinctly remember the readme file for Oscuro's saying Necromancers are level 20-25, so we won't be taking her up on that bounty any time soon. Nope it's time to hit the road again.

**Aside**
I downloaded better textures for more than just the scenery. It seems pretty stupid, but I actually found myself admiring the high res food textures. I probably would never have noticed the originals (as being good or bad looking) if I hadn't downloaded a mod specifically for them. I'm concerned about how using the mods has diverted my attention. If I'm spending my time evaluating the aesthetic merits of high resolution cheese instead of killing stuff, how can that possibly be an improvement?

Well, I got to write a sentence that included the phrase "aesthetic merits of high resolution cheese". That was pretty awesome. :D
**End Aside**

No comments: