09 June, 2008

Oblivion: Going Outside


Welcome to the outside. Yeah. I was expecting something a little more picturesque too. But at least my frame rate doesn't totally suck out here. It fluctuates pretty wildly between 30 and 60 with occasional dips into the mid teens. In an action game, that would suck, but the pace of Oblivion is generally pretty leisurely, so it's tolerable.

If you look closely, you can see that my character is covered with small white dots. That's because I have a mod that is supposed to make people look wet when it's raining (GetWet). But there are some issues with the mod, the dots on my hands in first person are very distorted and look more like magical energy. Even sillier is that the rain dots move upwards instead of downwards on my quiver, so in third person they look less like rain drops and more like disco ball lights.

Since you've seen me from the back now, you should probably have a look at my front.

Originally, I made a human avatar. I tweaked his features to look basically like me. Then I went rambling through the other races, seeing what they looked like. They all looked a little bit like me, except of course for this guy. Or maybe that's not true. Maybe that's exactly what I would look like if I were a lizard.

I liked the exotic look and the fact that I could breathe underwater. Since this is a game of exploration, that might be a useful skill to have. Unfortunately, it turns out that fish bite, and thanks to Oscuro's they bite hard.


Here is me shooting the crap out of a fish who nearly killed me. Revenge is a dish best served at high velocity.

But between the fish and some tiny flying demons, I should probably get moving. It looks like there are some ruins across the river.

Let's go check 'em out.

No comments: