11 May, 2008

Keepalive: Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes,

Games continue to fall by the wayside. Here's a rundown.

Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter
The Pitch: Fly around in your ship, then land on a space station, walk out the back of your ship and start shooting stuff with no loading screen in between.

My Opinion: Bleh. It looks like a Halo wannabe. It plays like a Halo wannabe. The ship combat isn't nearly good enough to elevate it beyond that status.

Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
The Pitch: Beat stuff up. Get EXP and loot to power up. Beat up bigger stuff. Repeat.

My Opinion: They kind of messed up the formula from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. The combat is more involved, but this means I keep having to push the camera in to fight well, then getting blindsided by something I could have seen, but only if the camera had been too far out to fight well. It's always the camera's fault. :) I only picked it up in the first place for the co-op. So we'll see how that goes, if I get around to it.

Battalion Wars
Battalion Wars did not meet my expectations. I wanted a fun, simple RTS, where I could learn how to use my units, then find novel ways to mix them up. But the game introduces new units almost every map and then tells me how to use them. Plus the interfaces for targeting enemies and controlling my units are pretty terrible, which would have killed the game even if I had found the strategy elements rewarding.

No comments: