07 October, 2007

My Gaming Life

Well, the I-Ninja review is finally up. Bad games take longer to play, what can I say? Plus that game had a lot of padding. I actually might have scored it higher if it hadn't been so replay happy.

In the meantime, I'm still playing TF2. I don't play often, but when I do, it takes hours to tear myself away again. Should I even write a review for it? You already know it's a five, right? Yeah. It's a five. I was thinking about trying to write up an article on the similarities between TF2 and PvP in WoW. But I can probably just sneak into this paragraph. First off, I usually end up playing support classes (medic and engineer) because nobody else will (proof). In WoW my first main was a priest and my current main is a tank. Support classes. Much like in WoW PvP, teamwork trumps individual skills. When I'm on a good team, our spies our feeding us the enemy's moves so that we're ready for them. Our soldiers and demos are hurting themselves to get the medics ubered faster. Our engineers are keeping the trip to the front lines short with well placed teleporters. When I'm on a bad team, it's generally very quiet. I'm the only one trying to coordinate anything or communicate what the enemy is doing. Sometimes we make some progress because the defenders are also weak, but on defense, we almost always crumble against the first uber or spy swarm. On a really bad team, I get to watch through the kill cam as people on our team completely ignore enemies taking the objective point. (I'm watching through the kill cam because I was the only one actually trying to stop them. Everyone else was just deathmatching.) Warsong Gulch anyone? :P

Speaking of WoW, I'm online infrequently, usually just to do a little auctioneering. It's more rewarding than adventuring sometimes and more profitable than adventuring most of the time. I'm still a long way from my epic mount. I'm still a long way from caring. I'll be glad to hit 70 just so I can stop playing and no one can give me crap.

Beyond that, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass came in the mail on Friday. I'm well over half done. I normally don't play games so current, but there was a deal (listed on CAG from Family Video), and DS games rarely drop much in price. That's part of why I normally try to stay away from handhelds. I also don't have a very good setup for playing them. Sitting on the couch, pillows on my lap to hold the DS at the proper distance, I get uncomfortable. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe I should just move around more. But I didn't much care for it. Perhaps I'll try the computer desk. Of course, the problem with Phantom Hourglass is that it's taking time from my October scary game lineup.

Manhunt is back in the PS2, but hasn't spun up yet. Undying and King Kong are waiting for me to free up a little hard drive space. With the upcoming release of Jericho (another Clive Barker game), I'm tempted to hit up Undying first. Folks on the Penny Arcade boards are saying Undying is far scarier. I don't remember liking the demo, but I think I played it for ten minutes, got stuck, and deleted it. Soon, Undying.

If my PC was nicer, I'd actually be playing Jericho itself. GameTap is having a $60 a year subscription offer, and I'm glad someone out there is doing the legal leg work to make old arcade games playable without crime, so I'm happy to support them. This means I'll technically have access to Jericho on the day it comes out, but I don't think I'll be playing it.

Oh crap. That reminds me. I'll have access to Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal in three days. Too much gaming goodness. Well, Half-Life has zombies. Zombies are scary, right? Right?

No comments: