11 October, 2007

Review: Half-Life 2: Episode 2

E2 rocks.

Gameplay
The gameplay is basically what you've come to expect from Half-Life, only better paced. Well, I like the pacing better. I suppose that boils down to there being a bit more combat and fewer physics puzzles. There are still physics puzzles, of course, but by the time you get to one, you've usually done enough fighting that you're glad for the break.

The combat also seems more fun this time out. The HL2 weapons don't really excite me. They're well made, but they're not fun to use (especially the SMG). But there are usually so many physics objects lying around in E2, the normal guns feel like your backup. An argument can certainly be made that there are too many handy objects lying around, but I don't care. It's more fun this way.

I'm also a fan of the less driving. Driving in HL2 stinks. That's partly because no game does great driving using a keyboard. Driving is a very analog thing. But it's also because the cars handle terribly. I always feel like I've climbed into a twitchy physics object more than a car.

There are two new enemies to fight. To keep this review as spoiler free as possible, I'll just say that I very much enjoy the one with fewer legs and, even though it wasn't very exciting to fight, still appreciated the variety added by the one with more legs.

Theatrics
Episode 2 does more storytelling in six hours than most games do in 20. It still has its flaws, Gordon's muteness when he has information he really should be sharing comes to mind. But I'm just sitting here, not wanting to spoil anything, thinking about all the cool moments. Obviously, this means the voice acting, directing, writing, and animation are all getting the job done. I don't normally call out the animation, but Valve's facial animation system is still head and shoulders above anything else in gaming. In fact, I'd be willing to argue that this game has the best storytelling we've seen in gaming. Admittedly, the characters lack a certain something. They're a little too pure, lacking the quirks that make a character breathe. But then again, you can't have them talking too much or you ruin the pacing. In fact, I'll bet there are younger gamers out there who hate any time spent listening to the dialog. Luckily they can throw bottles against the wall or otherwise amuse themselves during most of the dialog.

I suppose the fact that you can never actually participate in a conversation will always keep the exposition in Half-Life a drag. Maybe some day Valve will give you some little icons you can use to give you at least some indication of your feelings. I don't feel like Gordon's muteness enables me to be Gordon. It makes me mistrust him. He never comforts anyone, never cheers anyone on, never curses, never says thank you. If Gordon turns out to be human, I'll be both surprised and disappointed. I wouldn't mind at all if he didn't turn out to be a good guy, either. He took the man in black's deal, after all.

Aesthetics
It's still Half-Life 2. It's been incrementally improving, but nothing jumped out at me as particularly beautiful. The environments were varied enough to keep me from getting tired of them (with one minor exception). The special effects are well done (with one wonky looking explosion near the end of the game). And part of the reason the graphics don't wow me may well be the older PC I'm running. The sound and music are solid, as well (although once or twice the music comes in too loud, as it has in certain encounters in the other HL2 games. When I'm fighting for my life, being able to position enemies I can't see by sound is crucial). I guess the bottom line is the aesthetics aren't as strong as the gameplay and storytelling, but then again, when I'm enjoying the experience this much, who cares?

Final Score
5 out of 5

And a note for cheap gamers: I wouldn't pay the $30 Valve is asking for this as a standalone. But at $20, I'd definitely recommend it. But if you're the type who has more money than time to play games (I don't envy you, by the way.), it's one of the best gaming experiences out there at any price.

1 comment:

Blain Newport said...

Apparently, this week you can buy The Orange Box at Frys for $36 or Circuit City for $38. Fly my pretties!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155415