29 July, 2013

Review: Gears of War 3

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, 29 July 2013

Gears of War 3 (4 of 5)

There's a lot to recommend Gears 3.  It improves on Gears 2 in pretty much every way: graphics, gameplay, storytelling, pacing, variety.  The improvements are all incremental, but they're worthwhile. I don't really care about any of them though.  Being a simple, shallow man with NO TASTE, the thing that made Gears 3 for me was the Retro Lancer.

The Retro Lancer is a bayonet with a semi-superfluous automatic rifle attached.  I charged into so many guys with that bayonet.  And because you can't charge guys around corners, I kept the regular chainsaw around as well.  I would occasionally get to an ammo box and realize I didn't need any because I hadn't killed anyone with with boring old bullets for a good long while.  That's doing it right. :)

No comments: