26 June, 2011

Keepalive: Some Wii, Some Oldies

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, 26 June, 2011

Epic Mickey is a chore. None of the actions you do are gratifying. The camera is terrible. I try and appreciate all the history that goes into it, but when nothing I do is fun, the history is not enough.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is not a bad game. But there is more momentum than I like. All I could think of was how many times I'd played that same game with better controls. Kirby's Epic Yarn is for babies, but at least it's novel.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was the best of the Wii games I tried. It's nice to fling stuff around and blow stuff up. But I didn't see anything in the first two hours that I hadn't in the first ten minutes. And the boss fights didn't seem to have much of a pattern to them. Then again, the lighting conditions weren't ideal, so maybe they had tells I couldn't make out. I may give it another shot.



Terraria continues to be patched, which is good and bad. On the plus side, there are many new potions and ingredients to find and play with. On the minus side the fancy multilevel mushroom garden I had just started is slowly collapsing because mud now acts like sand and falls down when not supported.


C'est la vie.

Team Fortress 2 went free to play, and an old acquaintance wanted to play, so I jumped into a couple matches. The thing that gets me about that game is that there are tutorials against bots that work fine. But playing co-op against bots isn't supported, so it will never be played at one of Matthew's LANs. That aside, the game itself is still fun. I was worried that all the new weapons and other changes would be confusing, but mostly it played like I remembered, fast and loony.

Killing Floor is still fun. I feel like an old hand, always useful to the team. I should probably play on Hard more, but Normal is a relaxing explosive zombie apocalypse. I can generally get to the last wave with only one or two competent people on the team.



Hopefully this time next week I'll have a bunch of Steam Summer Sale games to talk about.

No comments: