04 April, 2010

Keepalive: Champions Online, The Witcher Let's Play

written by Blain Newport on Sunday, April 4, 2010

This post was two weeks late.

Sorry I've been neglecting the blog lately. It's been busy. I've been starting The Witcher Video Talkthrough / Let's Play. I didn't like calling most of my vids Let's Plays because the players didn't get to make decisions. But they are getting to make them in The Witcher.

I'm learning a bunch of new tools to make The Witcher as beautiful as possible. Instead of Windows Movie Maker, I'm editing by putting together AviSynth scripts in the AvsP editor, which is frameserving to VirtualDub, which is writing a file in lossless HuffYUV, which then gets used by MediaCoder to encode to the best possible settings that still keep me under my personal max file size of 200MB (which are H.264, variable bit rate, 58% quality). Then I have a seven step publishing checklist to post the result to YouTube, Mediafire, this blog, and the Penny Arcade forum thread.

I didn't want to clutter the blog with an entire post about all that, which I easily could have. It's been a lot of work.

And in every spare moment, I've been trying to get the most out of my one month of City of Heroes. Subscription models encourage unhealthy patterns of play, and I am not above grinding like crazy before my sub expires.

You may remember when I got my hands on the character creator.


me as a techno wizard


naked sunburn lady


the leather giant


and who could forget diaper baby

I'll give you one guess which design I ended up with.








































No comments: