11 October, 2009

Keepalive: The Thrill is Noticably Absent

written by Blain Newport on Saturday, October 10, 2009

I would have expected a little binge gaming after a week of not playing anything, but I really haven't felt the need. I fired up Batman to test recording to my external backup drive. Recording to the same drive the game is on wasn't good for performance. I beat up the first room of thugs, then promptly shut the game off to begin reviewing the footage. I was aware that the game was trying to propel me forward, but I wasn't interested.

By the late afternoon I was getting a little confused. I can play games now. Why am I not playing games now? Then I went back to what I was doing. At one point I finally stopped and said, "Okay. I wouldn't mind shooting a gun." and fired up Mercs 2. I barely got my equipment air-dropped in before the game locked up. I injured one enemy, shooting him in the foot because it was the only part of him I could see. I didn't even kill him. And I didn't really care. Once I got my system rebooted I just went back to what I'd been doing before firing up the game.

I'm still looking forward to recording the last few episodes of the Blood walkthrough and getting started on Republic Commando (and the secret Batman walkthrough). But those are hobby projects, not passions, not needful things.

The same goes for Borderlands. I'm wasting time on the PA forum talking about it, downloading wallpaper, and even setting up some related Windows sounds. But I feel like an old lady putting out a lace doily under a nice crystal candy dish. It's more about the decoration than the candy. (Speaking of which, I could go for some candy.)

We'll see if this persists. It might be bad for the blog if it does. But it might be good for me, lifewise, so I'm largely indifferent to how it turns out.

I'm gonna go buy some candy.

No comments: