09 October, 2009

Keepalive: No Gaming Postmortem

written by Blain Newport on Friday, October 9, 2009

This post was an hour late.

My week of no gaming ends tomorrow. I felt so burned out that it was time for a break. I've still been reading about games and thinking about them. But not playing them has been a change of pace.

I'd occasionally feel that blowing something up would be nice. But it would pass quickly. As much as I enjoy gaming, being without it does not really change the texture of my life that much. It just forces me to face the dull.

Unfortunately, it's good for life to be dull once in a while. It's the only way I stop and consider what I ought to be doing. I was so bored I considered cleaning. I resisted. But thinking about it, considering where I'd start and breaking down the tasks in my mind, was more than I'd done in years.

As a result, it's time to start limiting gaming to the evenings. It's time to have a regular dumb life again.

Sigh.

No comments: