03 October, 2009

Keepalive: Deja Vu

written by Blain Newport on Friday, October 2, 2009

Well, I was going to title this post ennui (as I have titled previous posts), so either way, you were going to get a French word.



Stalker 2 feels so much like Stalker 1 I don't think I'll continue playing it. After the first swamp area, it's almost the exact same terrain as the first game, just slightly prettier. I've done it before.



I keep thinking I should go back and finish Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, but that's another series that didn't go anywhere interesting after the first installment. I've heard that Two Thrones is better than Warrior Within, but neither is as good as Sands of Time, so what's the point?



I grabbed a demo for Risen. It's from the makers of Gothic. You may remember I kept a lengthy game journal of Gothic 3 during the early part of this year.

Risen is pretty.


But here's the old version.


Are some slightly better sun rays and vegetation really worth buying and playing the same game over again?

Because it doesn't play appreciably better. Infinite kill combos don't break the game like Gothic 3, but the combat still isn't exciting or rewarding enough to care about. And the looting and story aren't nearly enough to propel me through the many dozens of hours the game undoubtedly takes to explore.



There just isn't that much I'm excited about right now. I've killed what needed killing and hoarded what needed hoarding. I'm still recording the last bit of the Blood walkthrough, but other than that, I think it's time to not game for a while.

No comments: