27 October, 2009

Keepalive: Borderlands, Recording Hitches

written by Blain Newport on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Borderlands has some problems. The interface is a little wonky. It uses GameSpy for online multiplayer, which is also wonky. Playing with people is often a pain. And it is definitely a grind.

But when I punch dudes in the face, it sets them on fire and little damage numbers cascade off of them.



I'm enjoying it enough that it was difficult to tear myself away to write this post and record the next installment of the Republic Commando "video talkthrough". Speaking of which, it's 1:30 AM and I still have to record, edit, and upload it.

See ya!



Now it's after 3 AM. The video is encoding and in about ten minutes will be ready to upload. That took a lot of retakes to get right. There is so much noise in Republic Commando. Even the characters in the game constantly talk over each other.

And while that's troublesome for a narrated walkthrough, it helps create a frantic atmosphere. Also they recorded so much dialog for all the characters that even on my fifth playthrough, I'm noticing new things. There's a stairway in the game where you see an enemy run through a doorway. Because of how many times I went through it in recording the video, I know your companion (Delta Six Two) can say at least three different things in response to that. Your squad mates even have multiple quips to make if you shoot without hitting anything.

The work John A. Hancock did on the squad AI and audio barks in this game still impresses me four years later.

No comments: