08 September, 2009

PAX: 2009 - Initial Ramblings

written by Blain Newport on Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Okay. I'm back. I've got a lot of stuff stuck in my head and need to sleep, so here goes.

I met scads of people at this PAX. I will probably post a list you won't care about. I'm actually working on it now, going back and forth between entries. I don't want to forget.

So much happened though. It'd be impossible to keep track of it. Looking at some of my notes it's easy to see that by the end of the first day it felt like PAX had already been going on for two days. Of course, if you count the community events, it had already been three days.



There was the Magical Mystery Tour, which involved seeing the more touristy stuff in Seattle. Then there was the Pre-PAX dinner, which was full of people.

The Pre-PAX breakfast was really small this year. The normal organizer wasn't around, so most people just fended for themselves.

I ate most lunches and dinners in the convention center this year and ate well. The restaurants had staffed up and were ready for us. The food was pretty quick to get, good, and not super expensive, which was great as I didn't want to waste time walking to food. I was on a mission.



Every PAX I seem to have a different focus. The first year was music. The second was panels. The third was freeplay. This year was the expo hall. I didn't see everything, but I saw a lot. Expect a huge list. Only four games really impressed me, though. So you can probably ignore most of it. :)



There are so many other little details: eating hostel fruit and piroshkys in the morning (and in line), showering at night so I could wake up and go, the big after convention button trade, wandering with VT. The texture of PAX is composed of so many elements in such a short time that trying to convey the full impact is probably impossible. I'll just try and decompress it out of my brain over a few days time.

No comments: