21 September, 2009

Keepalive: LAN Party

written by Blain Newport on Monday, September 21, 2009

Because other people who hadn't played Nations @ War with us were available Saturday morning, we played more Nations @ War. There was much nuking.

We tried Call of Duty 4 with bots. But you die instantly in that game, so if you don't know the map, you get worked. Plus the bots see perfectly regardless of conditions, which is a pain. Finally Call of Duty has a kill cam where you can see from the viewpoint of the guy who shot you to see how he (or she) did it. And I saw the kill cam of a bot who killed me. He missed. He missed by a whole lot. I can tell the game is well made, but it's never been fun. I've not bought it. I've not played the single player. I sometimes wonder if I ever will. It's sold by Activision, and their CEO has been very up front about the fact that he has no respect for gamers, game developers, and his mother. I'm thinking used will be the only way I buy Activision products.

We played some Quake Wars: Enemy Territory. It's gotten pretty stale. I don't know if was the technology the game was made with or what, but there aren't new campaigns being made.

During a break Matthew and I played some NES co-op. There was an old game called Jackal I'd never played. It's a pretty simple co-op shooter. But it gets brutally difficult at the end in an attempt to compensate for the fact that the entire game isn't an hour long. The good old days weren't always so good.

Finally we played some Serious Sam 2 co-op. We turned on infinite ammo and just went to town. It's kind of dumb when some idiot spams the bomb that kills everything and makes everyone's screen flash white. But people are dumb. It's best to ignore them. We still had a good time and I'm sure we'll play Serious Sam 2 again someday. It's just nice to turn off your brain and shoot everything.

No comments: