26 May, 2009

Keepalive: Space Invaders Extreme

written on Monday, May 25, 2009

Okay. I may have given the impression that Space Invaders Extreme was easy. It can be. But there are easy and hard paths. And the hard path is kicking my butt. And it's such a short cycle that the "just one more game" effect keeps me playing. I burned my spaghetti. :(

I'm also learning the techniques. Yes, it's Space Invaders with technique beyond, "lead the last guy". Power ups are essential to surviving and only drop when you shoot enough invaders of a particular color. It changes how I pick my targets. Powered up invaders also change target priorities.

Tiny indicators tell how an invader will behave. Some carry shields which take a few shots to destroy. Some explode and take out the invaders next to them. Some drop straight down when you shoot them, so you better be ready to follow up, or they'll kill you in short order. Sometimes it seems like there's too much to keep track of and I'll get killed by an errant reflected shot and want to just drop the game.

But after every stage I can adjust to make it harder or easier, so I'll hang with it for now.

No comments: