20 May, 2009

Game Journal: Killing Floor

written on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I've put in some more hours with Killing Floor. Going through a learning curve with other people is usually an interesting experience. You learn the tricks and techniques, the exploits and strategies. Some you discover and share. Some you pick up from other players. I wouldn't call it social. No one talks about real life. But it's... interesting. The main thing I'm learning about Killing Floor is how people learn to tolerate failure.

On the Penny Arcade server I've been playing on, the game is set to Hard. I can't finish the game solo on Normal, and for every extra player the game throws a bunch more monsters at the group.



This is a solo run and you can see eight active monsters and one dead one. Imagine this times three or four and you get an idea of what you have to face down in multiplayer. It's frequently wall to wall monsters. As soon as you take a hit, your vision goes blurry, making it hard to even pick your targets.



Shortly thereafter, it's frequently death. I've never won a game on that server. And that's been the main learning.

You don't win Killing Floor on Hard; you lose as well as you can. Once I was backed into a corner. My team had fled and the horde was bearing down. I dropped a live grenade at my feet and started knifing guys. I was dead before it detonated. It was a good day to die.

But some people aren't comfortable with losing. I understand the other PA server is set to Normal difficulty now. I have mixed feelings. I like to win, but I've gotten used to fighting like mad for that last shred of hope. Anything less doesn't seem worth it somehow. The zombie apocalypse shouldn't be manageable.

No comments: