14 May, 2009

Game Journal: Free Realms

written on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I can safely say I've spent enough time (five hours or so) with the card game in Free Realms to have an opinion.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't seriously play CCGs (Collectible Card Games), it seems well put together.


Here we see a combat in progress. I'm not going to explain what everything means. After all, Free Realms is free and the tutorial in the game explains it better than I could. I will mention that I saw one game where each player had fifteen minutes total to make their moves or forfeit. That's a nice feature if you don't have time for a long game.

My main issue is the same as my issue with all CCGs. They're designed to be money sinks. Maybe I could spend the same amount I spent on Phantom Dust and be able to build a nice variety of decks. But I don't know that, and I'm not putting down cash to find out. I've seen too many of these games (just Magic: The Gathering, but that was one too many) and am very aware of how the temptation to get the hardcore players to pay through the nose for a specific card can ruin the fun. I don't like to grind in games, and I sure as #($& don't want to grind with real money to get rare cards.

That said, I've enjoyed using the starter deck against the AI in the game. It makes me work for my wins (at least I feel like I'm working for them). It's a nice change of pace from other activities in Free Realms.

No comments: