25 August, 2008

Keepalive (TWEWY, I Love Bees)

TWEWY is really not keeping me entertained. The gameplay, partly because I've been away from it, and partly because I'm really supposed to pay attention to the top screen is losing its charm. And I'm glad this is a spoiler free post so I don't have to go into the three or four different ways the story sucks.

It's about time to do final PAX prep. Packing and printing and general excitement are the order of the week.

I'm working on my next installment for the challenge article series. I thought I'd basically finished it yesterday, but having slept on it and looked at it again, it seems terribly disorganized.

For its anniversary, someone posted a tribute thread to I Love Bees on the PA forums. It had been too long since I'd listened to it. But it did eat up a frightening amount of my time. I can see the rough edges a bit more now, but it's still very good, and I'd venture to guess (based on what I have played of their games) that it's the best story that ever came out of Bungie.

Of course, it has to be. It's almost five hours of nothing but story. Most action games provide maybe two to three times that length, and most of that is just combat. Stories can be told during gameplay, but that's a lot more work than stringing together fights and cut scenes. And when most devs try, it usually involves heavy handed scripting that makes the experience feel contrived. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement here still.

Anyway, I'll try to get the next challenge article up tomorrow (later today). It feels valuable, and big. Like if I put it all together, then turn it around enough times, I'll be able to see the shape of my gaming experience. So many people talk about how we still don't have a common language to talk about gameplay. I don't think what I'm doing is working towards that, exactly. But it feels tangential... and important. At least to me personally. Bring on those windmills.

No comments: