10 April, 2008

Review: TimeShift

TimeShift (Saber Interactive, 2007) is another period sci-fi game where you go back in time to fight some guy who went back in time to take over the world.

I enjoyed the free form format of the last review, but I'm feeling retro today.

Gameplay
It's an FPS. Shoot guys. The guns are okay. Not great, but okay, except for the assault rifle, which I plan to write an article about after this. The enemy AI is pretty limited. They can't operate ladders. They're scripted to jump over stuff at you because it looks cool, even if it's obviously suicide. Actually, it's kind of the same fights over and over. I was either poking out from cover to kill people, or waiting for people to come around my cover to kill them. Once in a while, I'd use my time powers to take out a room of six guys in one big slo-mo sweep, but I generally tried to conserve my slo-mo for emergencies because one guy with a shotgun could force me back to a checkpoint in two shots.

Also, the enemies had "AI aim" and were way too accurate at long ranges. As such the game has these wide open vistas which devolved into finding a rock to hide behind and shooting guys when they try to come around or popping out and sniping them if they refused to move.

Long story short, if you want a time slowing shooter, F.E.A.R. is probably still the gold standard (as long as you don't mind fighting in generic office parks).

Theatrics
Never mind. There's a hint of a plot but only just. The characters are completely undeveloped. Just never mind.

Aesthetics
So if you do hate generic office parks, TimeShift may work better for you. It's got a lot of special effects and shininess.


Also, because they were trying to sell it based on its "novel" time mechanics, they didn't bother to mention the fairly respectable destructible stuff.

This is something cement coming apart, but blowing through drywall to get at guys was pretty fun.

Final Score
3 of 5

No comments: