18 April, 2008

Keepalive: Cheap Games & Doom 3 Co-op

In random gaming news, I picked up some cheap games to enjoy on my Xbox. It's pretty scary when you can pick up three games for ten dollars. I mean, I'm a cheap guy, but that's ridiculous.

I also played OpenCoop for Doom 3 with my brother on Wednesday. We'll need to set up our own server and get him a microphone so I can annoy him with random decade old pop culture references as we play, but it was definitely fun. Unlike many cooperative games which allow people to spawn into the game constantly (somewhat diminishing the fun factor), OpenCoop makes it so that any health you grab beyond what you need, goes into a respawn pool. If you die, and there's enough health left in the pool, you respawn. When the pool runs out and you die, you have to watch whoever is still in the game and hope that they can survive / win the level / find enough health to get you back in. It keeps the game challenging. When I played System Shock 2 co-op, it wasn't nearly as fun as we just kept respawning and bashing everything to death with our wrenches. :P

No comments: